Geocaching is an exciting, educational and free global navigation game. In this outdoor activity, the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) device or a GPS enabled mobile phone and other navigational techniques to hide and seek small containers, called “geocaches” or “caches”, anywhere in the world.
Visit http://www.geocaching.com/ and enter your postcode to see all the caches local to you.
An Information and Consent for Event/Activity form is required to participate in this activity.
If the activity is taking place in the Open, Remote or Extreme countryside, participants must carry a completed Health Information form. If younger than Guide age, these must be carried by the Leader.
Click here for information on countryside classification. If you are unsure of the classification of the countryside where you are planning to walk, please contact your local Walking or Outdoors Activities Adviser.
Who can participate?
Open to all.
If taking place in the Extreme countryside, the activity is open to those aged 7 and over.
Ratio of adults to girls
Normal ratios for activities away from the meeting place are required. Read about Guiding Manual ratios.
In some cases, Guides and Senior Section members may be able to walk without a Leader, please see the appropriate walking page for further information.
- The Leader must ensure that all participants under 18 have written permission to take part from an adult with parental responsibility.
- The local Commissioner must be informed that the activity is taking place.
- Carry out a risk assessment for the aspects of the activity for which you are responsible.
No geocaching qualifications are necessary to run this activity, however:
- The activity Leader must be appropriately qualified to lead walking activities for the terrain in which the activity is taking place.
- Click here for information on countryside classification.
- Please see the Walking pages of the A-Z of Activities.
If you are unsure of the classification of the countryside where you are planning to walk, please contact your local Walking or Outdoors Activities Adviser.
Other Useful Resources
- Geocaching Scouts UK PowerPoint (Revision of the Geocaching.com PowerPoint for our Members)
- Girlguiding Surrey West Geocaching Badge